Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Carving Pumpkins


It's not quite Halloween although I'm positive it's in the stores already. In fact, there's probably Christmas stuff. Nevertheless, carving pumpkins does make me happy. I guess I should clarify that.....sitting with someone else carving pumpkins makes me happy. I don't actually care to do the carving; I'm always afraid I'll cut my finger off. BUT, here's what I do like......reaching into the pumpkin and pulling all the goop out. I LOVE that part!

When we were little, my dad did all the carving. I scooped out all the guts and then my mom put the candles in. My dad did a really good job on our pumpkin. When the kids were little, I attempted. Rich might have done it once or twice. Finally we got one of those kits that you can cut out on those fake pumpkins at Hobby Lobby and Tucker did it. Tucker is really good at it, plus I got to save the pumpkin he did.

Now that Tucker works at the pumpkin sales lot for Boy Scouts, I usually get good pumpkins and just leave them whole so I can have them on my porch through Thanksgiving. This year, though, I think we'll all carve pumpkins. Because it's a happy thing and we can never have too many happy things.

No comments:

Post a Comment